Mecum Achieves Outstanding Growth at 4th Annual Daytime Auction
|Friday, 31 August 2012 10:12|
Thousands congregated this past weekend on the grounds of the beautiful Del Monte Golf Course at the Hyatt Regency Monterey Hotel & Spa to preview an amazingly diverse group of quality collector vehicles gathered for sale at Mecum’s 4th Annual Daytime Auction, held Thursday, Aug. 16-18, 2012.
Each day of auction saw a standing-room-only audience as Mecum lead the way in Monterey with sales figures by volume sending a total of 364 vehicles to new homes around the world. The 1972 Can-Am Champion L&M Porsche 917/10 Spyder driven by George Follmer (Lot S123) hammered sold at $5,500,000 on Saturday afternoon, leading all sales for the auction. Throughout the three-day event, Mecum sold an unprecedented total of 30 Porsches, which contributed more than $10 Million to the weekend totals. Other notable sales included a 1908 Simplex Speedcar (Lot S101), the oldest Simplex known to exist for $1,900,000 and a 1972 Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Daytona Spyder (Lot S151) with only 21,185 miles changing hands for $1,050,000.
Once final figures including Bid Goes On post-auction sales are tallied, Mecum expects total sales to exceed $34 million, an increase of more than 65% over last year’s figures. After the auction, Dana Mecum, President and CEO commented, “It’s great to see such incredible growth for a young sale like our daytime auction in Monterey which is only in its 4th year, and I’m happy that our team was able to produce great results for our customers.”
Mecum Monterey Auction 2012 Top 10 Vehicle Sales (all sales reflect hammer prices) were:
1. 1972 Porsche L&M 917/10 Spyder (S123) at $5,500,000
2. 1908 Simplex 50 Speedcar Roadster (S101) at $1,900,000
3. 1972 Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Daytona Spyder (S151) at $1,050,000
4. 1974 Porsche 911 RSR IROC (S116) at $875,000
5. 1987 Porsche 962 (S120) at $825,000
6. 1956 Mercedes-Benz 300SL Gullwing (S128) at $675,000
7. 1965 Shelby Cobra 289 Roadster CSX2428 (S139) $600,000
8. 1968 Chevrolet Corvette L88 Convertible (S140) at $575,000
9. 1961 Mercedes-Benz 300SL Roadster (S100) at $575,000
10. 1973 Porsche 911 Carrera RS Lightweight (S157) at $470,000Complete auction results are available to Mecum InfoNet members, which is free to join at www.Mecum.com.