December 2003

1970 Moretti Sportiva

Written by 

The heavy body weighed 1,500 pounds, too much for its puny 47-hp motor





Giovanni Moretti founded his company in 1925, and started off designing and building motorcycles. The Cita, built in 1946, a tiny two-seater powered by an air-cooled 250-cc motor, was Moretti's first conventional car.

In 1949, Moretti introduced the 600, a front-engine, rear-drive car powered by a bespoke 592 cc, water-cooled four-cylinder engine. Four years later, the 600's chassis was lengthened and fitted with a 27-hp, SOHC, 748 cc motor, creating the Moretti 750.