he Delage D8 was a glamorous car with a very imposing radiator that had similarities to Hispano-Suiza. It was fast and had impeccable road holding. Although the Delage D8 series became one of the most desired high-performance cars in
Europe, they were quite expensive. Louis Delage was reluctant to change this image to suit the varying economic climate and after a falling-out with his co-directors, he left the company in 1935. Shortly afterward the firm merged with rival Delahaye. They retained their individuality, but became more selective with their range, and a new Delage D8-120 was introduced in 1937 incorporating hydraulic brakes, a revised Delahaye-style chassis with transverse-leaf independent front suspension and a Cotal electromagnetic gearbox. The engine was an eight-cylinder version of the existing six-cylinder Delahaye with a capacity of 4.3 liters, providing a healthy 95 bhp at 4,000 rpm in its initial form.