E.L. Cord’s 812 Beverly Finds Its Way Home

c751a390ac9295853b04d199f361f99e

Many legendary automobiles have shared the names of their creators. For Auburn Automobile Company owner Errett Lobban Cord, the eponymous vehicles were the legendary Cord L-29 and Cord 810/812 models. Now, E.L. Cord’s personal 1937 Cord 812 has been donated to the Auburn Cord Duesenberg Automobile Museum in Auburn, Indiana.

E.L.’s 1937 Cord 812 Supercharged Beverly is one of only 184 examples produced and has only 10,000 original miles on its odometer. It is powered by a supercharged Lycoming 289 cubic-inch V8 engine. The engine produces 170 horsepower and uses a four-speed manual transmission.

This car has never left the possession of the Cord family since the car was delivered by truck new to E.L. Cord at his Cordhaven estate in Beverly Hills, California, from the Auburn Automobile Company Connersville, Indiana factory complex in late 1937. The car is believed to be one of the last Cord 812s to have been delivered by the Auburn Automobile Company after its demise in 1937.

This piece of automotive history has been donated to the Auburn Cord Duesenberg Automobile Museum by the family of Charles Cord, Sr. and Charles Cord, Jr., the son and grandson of E.L. Cord.

0 comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *