Some of the world’s most evocative Grand Prix cars are those originally manufactured during the 1920s, not necessarily for racing team use, but primarily for sale to private customers, providing them with the equipment necessary to take the plunge and go motor racing upon their own account, potentially at the very highest level.
Of course, it was the marque Bugatti that most prominently provided that service, and most notably with its magnificent family of compact, light and powerful straight-eight-engined Bugatti Read More
Vittore Bugatti first entered the Grand Prix arena in 1922 following numerous successes over the previous two years with his 1½-liter 16-valve racing voiturettes. From 1922 to 1925 the regulations imposed a maximum engine capacity of two liters so Bugatti designed a purpose-built straight-eight racing engine which made its debut in a three-car team fitted with cigar-shaped bodies for that year’s French Grand Prix held on July 15, conveniently on roads between Strasbourg and his Molsheim factory. A single Read More
In 1910, aged 28, Ettore Bugatti resigned his position at the Deutz works in Cologne and moved to Alsace, renting an old dye works in Molsheim where he began making his own automobiles. He took with him a prototype car of 1208 cc which he had built in his basement workshop in Cologne and which was to become the first Pur Sang Bugatti, the Type 10. He also brought with him another much more powerful car, a five-liter overhead Read More