Some of the world’s most evocative Grand Prix cars are those originally manufactured during the 1920s, not necessarily for racing team use, but primarily for sale to private customers, providing them with the equipment necessary to take the plunge and go motor racing upon their own account, potentially at the very highest level.
Of course, it was the marque Bugatti that most prominently provided that service, and most notably with its magnificent family of compact, light and powerful straight-eight-engined Bugatti Type 35s. This much-loved, neat and nimble design was introduced at the Grand Prix de l’ACF in 1924, and manufactured in a series of subsequent variants for customer sale.
Bugatti Type 35 chassis 4450 offered here was the 19th such Grand Prix Bugatti to be manufactured, as reflected by its chassis frame number 19. The order for the car was numbered 21. Its construction was completed in January 1925. The new car was delivered new via Jarrott & Letts (London) Limited to former Brescia Bugatti owner Lieutenant Glen Kidston, RN. It seems that he collected it from the Molsheim factory on February 14, 1925.