In total, 1,258 1.6 HFs were built during 1969–70, of which approximately the first 600 were designated HFS and fitted with the Variante 1016 engine featuring modified cams similar to the Works rally cars. This car, 001578, which is a rare fanalone (big-headlight) version, is one of the last HFSs to be built and is contemporary with cars used by the Works in late 1969/early 1970. Believed to have been used as a reconnaissance car by the Works team, it still has various Works parts including inlet manifolds, 45-mm Dell’Orto carburetors, 10,000-rpm tachometer and Abarth steering wheel, although the 1016 engine has been replaced.
The Fulvia stayed in Italy until the mid-1970s before moving to Belgium and eventually the U.K., where it competed in historic rallies until the early 1990s. In 2000–03 it underwent a lengthy restoration.
The car has been returned to Group 4 specification with aluminum panels, magnesium alloy wheels, race/rally-prepared engine, 5-speed competition gearbox, foam-filled long-range fuel tank, FTA six-point roll cage, FIA seats and harnesses, fully plumbed fire extinguisher, master cutoff switch and Plexiglas windows.
This car is eligible for the Targa Florio, Milano-San Remo, Tour Auto, Monte Carlo Historique and many other prestigious international events — as well as series such as Top Hat and HSCC. The Fulvia has won several prizes for presentation, including 1st place in the RAC Club concours at Woodcote Park in 2004, and it has been featured in several motoring magazines, most recently Auto Italia in 2004. It is offered with RAC/MSA papers, U.K. V5C registration document and an expired MoT certificate (2006).