The Ferrari 166 Inter was the road version of the 166 MM racing model, and 37 were produced between 1948 and 1950. The “166” referred to the displacement of a single cylinder in cubic centimeters, and twelve cylinders equaled 1,992 cc.
The Colombo-designed and Lampredi-developed engines had twin distributors and coil ignition with a single twin-choke Weber 32 DCF carburetor as standard, although a triple set-up could be specified. With 7.5:1 compression and at 6,000 rpm, 115 hp was available, enough to propel most Inters to 112 mph. The chassis featured independent front suspension with wishbones, Houdaille hydraulic shocks, and a transverse leaf spring. The rear was a solid axle located by semi-elliptic leaf springs, and brakes were hydraulic drums. This chassis remained more or less unchanged for subsequent 195 and 212 models.
The Farina coachworks was formed in 1905. Battista “Pinin” Farina worked there with his older brothers until he formed his own company and bodied his first Ferrari in 1952. Farina provided coachwork for just eight 166 Inters between 1948 and 1952. Five fastback coupes were built-009S, 021S, 031S, 037S, and 041S-four of which exist in basically original form. Three cabriolets were also produced, and two survive.
Early on, s/n 037S was upgraded to the 2.5-liter 212 engine, and its single carburetor was changed to three. It was the 16th car in the Inter series and sold new to a Mr. Tamorri in Rome in June 1949. In the late 1950s, it was exported to the United States, where it had a succession of owners, and in June 1987, it was sold partly restored to Lord Charles Brocket in the U.K., who commissioned a full restoration.
The car was then sold to Peter Agg, also in the U.K., who spent more than $240,000 to complete the restoration. 037S was repainted silver over metallic blue and the interior was redone in gray leather with blue piping, a process completed in the late 1990s. The car retains its original instrumentation and the quality of the restoration is virtually flawless. The restoration, including the engine rebuild, is documented with photos.
The car retains most of its original features, apart from the air filter box and modern rear taillights. Mr. Schermerhorn bought chassis 037S in 2000 and has toured and exhibited it at Ferrari gatherings and concours, including the prestigious 2008 Italian Villa d’Este Concorso. The car comes with a detailed history file, invoices from 1989, and FIVA papers.