It was in 1953 that the Maserati A6GCS found its perfect form. Having left Maserati for Stanguellini, Alberto Massimino left a space that was filled by Gioacchino Colombo, known for his work at Alfa Romeo, and the designer of the V12 Ferrari engine that took his name.
Colombo perfected the development of the twin-cam, twin-ignition 6-cylinder engine adapted for the sports version, and with its lightly modified suspension, this became the A6GCS/53.
Marketed as the Maserati Sport 2000, the car was capable of 170 bhp at 7,300 rpm. It received a totally new body — again designed by Fantuzzi and built by Fiandri & Malagoli — that abandoned the “cycle wings” in favor of a more enveloping form that was both aerodynamic and elegant.