In 1955, after taking delivery of his most powerful Maserati to date, the three-liter 300S offered here, chassis number 3057, Benoit Musy contested eleven European Sports Car Championship events, winning five times and scoring a further five podium finishes up to the August 12, 1956, Kristianstad Swedish Grand Prix, which he won.
In a cruel twist of fate, Musy was to perish abruptly at the Coupe de Paris Montlhery on October 7, 1956-the last big race of the season. Musy had delivered his 300S to the factory for its year-end service and as a result it was not available for the race, so a friend lent him his new Maserati 200S. Part of the steering failed, sending the car over the banking.
After his death, his wife left chassis 3057 at the Maserati factory with orders to sell it. The 300S was eventually sold to the Auto Racing and Touring Club of Angola. The wealthy Angola Automobile Club would purchase such cars for its affluent Portuguese members to use in South African events. We know that 3057 was raced out of Angola for many years.
But in the 1970s, most Portuguese residents left Angola following the communist revolution. In doing so, they abandoned large possessions like cars, including this 300S Maserati. Old racing cars were converted to road cars, as was 3057, which was fitted with an American V8 and a cut down driver’s door. In 1989, Swedish national Stein Johnson found the 300S.
Photos show that, while dented and in poor condition, 3057 was remarkably complete, although fitted with a different grille and unattractive tail lamps. Johnson shipped the rolling chassis and body, less engine and gearbox, to Oslo in 1991.
A proper restoration was beyond his means, so a year later number 3057 went to Englishman Peter Scott. Scott retained Church Green Engineering to carry out a meticulous restoration. The painstaking rebuild utilized most of the original coachwork, all of the chassis, suspension, brakes, steering mechanism and steering wheel, gear change mechanism, tanks, instruments, seats, interior panels, chassis tags, and road wheels.
During the restoration, Church Green Engineering fitted a remanufactured, correct 300S Maserati/Embry engine as well as a new five-speed transaxle from Jack Knight Gears.