1959 MGA 1500

MGAs may be starting to catch up with Austin-Healey values, and this might be a good time to buy

Chassis number: HDA4361077

The MGA was produced by the MG division of the British Motor Corporation from 1955 to 1962. The MGA replaced the older T-type cars and represented a complete styling break from the older vehicles. The car was officially launched at the Frankfurt Motor Show in 1955.
This car, “670 YUC,” has a B.M.I.H.T. certificate showing that it was built as a left-hand-drive car during December 1958 through January 1959, and it was shipped to the United States on January 5, 1959. The extensive history includes a California Ownership Certificate.

In June 2009, the car was re-imported to the U.K. A very thorough inspection by a professional restorer reported no corrosion. They then stripped the body down to bare metal, repaired minor dings that were found and repainted the car in Blaze Red to a high quality.
The car was carefully rebuilt, using original parts wherever possible. The level of craftsmanship is truly impressive, with accurate bodylines and perfectly fitting doors.

Mechanically, the engine was found to have been expertly maintained, with many new parts. But to be certain of its quality, the vendor installed new gaskets, seals, core plugs, and head and manifold studs and nuts, converted the cylinder head to unleaded gasoline, and rebuilt the fuel and brake systems. The result is a spritely and reliable driving car reported to pull well through the gears.

The ride benefits from rebuilt steering and front and rear suspension with all new bushes, rubbers, seals and track rod ends. The kingpins had already been renewed at an unspecified time. Fresh tires were fitted on new gray wire wheels.

Electrically, the car was treated to a new wiring loom, right-hand-drive halogen headlamps (LHD lamps with vehicle), new taillamps, and a new safety gauge, with other gauges and switches cleaned and re-used. The starter motor, dynamo and wiper motor were serviced, and the car converted to a single, 12-volt battery with isolator and key.

The cabin was retrimmed with all new black leather with red piping by a leading MGA specialist. New bumpers, grille and wheel spinners were fitted, and the windscreen frame re-chromed.

The car has a new tonneau cover. It has the original hood sticks, which need repainting, but no hood, although that is easily obtained from various specialist suppliers.

Rarely do we see cars of this type that really make you stop and take notice, but this is one such car. In this price range it is nearly impossible to find a car as usable, efficient and attractive as this MGA Roadster.

Gary Anderson

Gary Anderson - SCM Contributor

Gary is also Editor in Chief of The Star, the magazine for the Mercedes-Benz Club of America. He has been active for many years in the Austin-Healey Club USA and is co-author of MBI’s best-selling Austin-Healey Restoration Guide, as well as editor of the Austin-Healey Magazine. An avid vintage race driver, he ran his 1960 MGA in three Monterey Historics, four Wine Country Classics, and the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix. He is the author of Motoring: Getting the Maximum from Your New Mini, a comprehensive guide to the new MINI Cooper, available through Amazon.com.

Posted in English