Classically proportioned and instantly recognizable from the moment of its introduction in 1958, the Touring-styled DB4 established a look that would survive, with only minor revisions, until 1970.
A new design by Tadek Marek, the DB4’s all-alloy, twin-overhead-camshaft 6-cylinder engine featured “square” bore and stroke dimensions of 92 mm for a displacement of 3,670cc and developed its maximum output of 240 bhp at 5500 rpm. The David Brown gearbox was a new four-speed, all-synchromesh unit.
An immensely strong platform-type chassis replaced the DB2/4’s multi-tubular space frame, the latter being considered incompatible with Touring’s Superleggera body construction, which employed its own lightweight tubular structure to support the aluminum-alloy body panels.
The DB4’s peerless credentials as a Grand Routier were summed up thus by The Motor: “Performance, controllability and comfort have been combined in the Aston Martin DB4 to make it a highly desirable car: one in which long journeys can be completed very quickly indeed with the minimum of risk or discomfort and the maximum of pleasure.”
Manufactured between October 1958 and June 1963, the DB4 developed through five series as the model gradually metamorphosed into the DB5. The first series had already undergone a number of improvements, including the fitting of heavy-duty bumpers after the first 50 cars. The second series arrived in January 1960, with a front-hinged bonnet, bigger brake calipers and an enlarged sump.
The vendor advises us that he started stripping down this Series II DB4 30 years ago. From 1979 to October 2009, the car was stored—on chocks—in a dry garage, and the engine last ran in 1980. Offered for restoration and sold strictly as viewed, this represents an exciting opportunity for the dedicated Aston enthusiast to breathe life back into a long-neglected DB4.