The stars aligned for David Brown and Aston Martin upon the introduction of the all-new DB4 model in late 1958. A competition-oriented variant, the DB4GT, was formally introduced in September 1959 at the London Motor Show, based on the race-winning prototype DP1991.
The GT was shorter, lighter and more powerful than the production DB4. The bodywork was of thinner 18-gauge aluminium alloy, the wheelbase was reduced by five inches, and the rear seats were removed on all but a small number of special-order cars. Weight was reduced by 200 pounds.
The engine featured higher 9:1 compression, a twin-plug, dual-ignition cylinder head and triple dual-throat Weber 45DCOE carburetors. Power output was 302 horsepower at 6,000 rpm, a useful increase from the claimed 240 hp of the standard car, and qualifying the GT as the most powerful British car of its era.
Chassis 26 was sold to original owner Maurice Baring of the renowned banking family. Soon after its acquisition, he entered his GT into a competition at Brands Hatch (March 1960) and won the race. This was the sole occasion that this car took to the track in its early life, and one reason why it has survived largely in its original state.