By the time the 250 PF Coupe arrived in 1959, Ferrari had refined its road models and, every year, the 250 improved as a practical car. It retained, however, the sporting heritage and the broad outline of the sports racing cars from which it derived. The 250 PF was not a cousin to the 250 Testa Rossa; it was its sister.
The 250 GT chassis was the model on which the leading Italian coachbuilders competed for Ferrari’s attention and the clear winner was Pininfarina. From the PF Coupe on, Pininfarina would be Ferrari’s favoured stylist and the bodies that the studio provided would contribute to the Ferrari legend. By 1960, the PF Coupe had acquired disc brakes on the front wheels and the wheels themselves were the sublime wire-spoked creations made by Borrani.
The car shown here, an elegant two-seat coupe with a Pininfarina body, was delivered new to California and it spent the next 30 years in America. In 1990 it was imported to Italy by the vendor who entrusted it to world-renowned specialist Dino Cognolato for a ground-up restoration with no expense spared.
Bills are available to support the vendor’s testimony that no detail was overlooked. The car has been completely rewired, the engine, transmission and suspension totally rebuilt, the coachwork restored from bare metal and the interior retrimmed.
Presented in the original Nero Tropicale with a light tan leather interior and beige carpets, it is in all-round ‘concours’ condition. This exceptional example of a wonderful motor car has covered only 2,500 kms since its rebuild and is offered with factory tool kit.