Whatever the auction catalog may say about the early 356Bs adding to the Porsche legend, at the time of its introduction, Porsche fans were aghast
Launched in 1948, the Porsche 356 employed a platform chassis with a rear-mounted, air-cooled engine and torsion bar independent suspension. In 1955 the 356A was introduced, readily distinguishable by its curved, one-piece windshield, a wider range of engines, and 15-inch, rather than 16-inch, wheels. Announced at the 1959 Frankfurt Motor show, the 356B T-5 enhanced Porsche’s reputation as builders of one of the finest small-capacity sports cars, continuing the commercial success of its predecessors.
Improvements were focused on handling, ride and refinement, as well as the addition of a more powerful 90-hp, 1600-cc engine. Cosmetic changes included a higher nose, raised front fenders and higher and stronger bumpers. Inside, the dash featured a black, dished steering wheel with brushed steel spokes, and black plastic switches. The seats were lowered to increase headroom and ventilation was improved with front quarter windows.
Exported new to the U.S. and re-imported to Germany in 2001, this very presentable 1961 Porsche 356B in Light Ivory is fitted with a tan interior, radio, and chrome wheels. In original left-hand drive and generally in very good condition, these practical and historic cars are currently acquiring a special level of interest, being ideal for continental rallies.