Most references politely say that Fanalone means “large lights,” but Italian friends have told me that it’s actually slang for “big breasts”
During the 1960s, the wonderfully nimble, front-wheel-drive Lancia Fulvia reigned consistently among the highest echelon of international rally contenders. Campaigned by the Lancia factory team in 1966, they achieved second place finishes in the Monte Carlo and Three Cities rallies, won the Team Prize in the Rallye dei Fiore, and even scored circuit-racing class wins at both the Targa Florio and the Nurburgring.
The 1298-cc, 101-hp coupes were upgraded to 1440 cc and some 120 hp in 1967, taking first and second places in the Spanish Rally and Tour de Corse, second at the Acropolis and sixth in Sweden. In 1968, Pat Moss and Liz Nystrom won the Coupe des Dames in the Monte Carlo Rally and were second at San Remo.
For 1969, 1.6-liter engines were developed, and Fulvias won both the San Remo and RAC rallies, taking second in the Monte Carlo classic, sixth in the Swedish Rally, and fourth and fifth in the Alpine.
Thus the Fulvia on offer here promises its new owner tremendously fulfilling fun behind the wheel. It was prepared in 1971 by Bosato to circuit-
race in the Italian Championship, being fitted with a fuel-injected engine, which can be identified by the hump on its hood. Two years ago it was prepared for rally competition by an Abarth tuner in Italy. Since having been acquired by the vendor, this lovely little Lancia has again been completely checked by an Abarth specialist in Turin.
It is equipped with twin 40-mm Weber carburetors, its engine claimed to deliver some 160 hp. Dunlop disc brakes are fitted at the front and rear, along with four Technomagnesio competition wheels. The 1969 Lancia Fulvia sports Mirafiori seats, an authentic competition fuel tank, and a rare 10,000-rpm rev counter. The car is finished in Aragosta Orange and is described by the vendor as being in perfect running order and essentially ready to race in numerous historic events.