In February 1966, Ferrari debuted a new sports-racing car formulated for the FIA’s 2-Liter Group 4 class, with hopes of winning over the numerous privateer teams that campaigned in Porsches. Dubbed the Dino 206 S, the car was powered by the development of the 65-degree V6 engine that had been conceived by Dino Ferrari before his death in 1956.
Introduced for the 1966 racing season, the Dino 206 S appeared to be a scaled-down version of the revered 330P, even wearing similarly ravishing coachwork from Piero Drogo’s Carrozzeria Sports Cars in Modena. The visual appeal of Drogo’s aerodynamic body shell, which featured a combination of stressed alloy panels and fiberglass over a welded tubular semi-monocoque, was beautifully complemented by the Dino V6’s fierce performance. By the end of the 1966 race season, the 206 S had proved its mettle, earning a 2nd-place finish at the Targa Florio, 2nd and 3rd at the Nürburgring and a 6th place finish at Spa. Although the 206 S was originally slated for a homologation of 50 examples, labor problems prematurely interrupted production after only 18 cars had been assembled, and the model, therefore, remains a rare and important milestone in the arc of the Dino race car’s development, as well as a cornerstone of the Ferrari road cars that followed.
Aside from this fabulous restoration, 006 benefits from a thorough file of documentation, including a full correspondence record through the past 40 years, as well as a Ferrari Classiche certification. The most remarkable thing is that the car has been in single ownership since 1970, with only four owners from new.