The Flaminia was the first Lancia designed by Antonia Fessici and was the company’s flagship when launched in 1957. Fessici had finally broken with tradition and discarded the previously used vertical coil independent front suspension in favor of wishbones. The engine was a 2.5-liter V6 driving through an aft-mounted gearbox and de Dion rear axle. In 1964 the 3C version was introduced with a 2.8-liter engine producing 152 horsepower.
Without doubt the most attractive coachwork on these chassis was Read More
This wonderfully useable, well-presented and historic product of the world-famous Maserati brothers’ company “Officina Specializzata Costruzione Automobili,” better known as “OSCA,” was purchased new from the Bolognese factory in Italy by Kleenex millionaire James H. “Gentleman Jim” Kimberly, in 1956.
At the Road America circuit in Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin, that September, Kimberly and his brilliant co-driver, none other than the great Carroll Shelby, drove this MT4 to first place in the Four-Hour enduro race for cars up to two Read More
In 1944 Ettore Bugatti initiated the designs of a new, supercharged 1500-cc car intended for postwar production. It was designated the Type 73, with variations ranging from a four-seater road model to a monoposto racing car.
Early in 1947 an artist’s impression of a streamlined, two-door saloon appeared in a Bugatti advertisement in a Continental newspaper, and an engine-less prototype appeared on the Bugatti stand at the Paris Motor Show in October, 1947.
Ettore Bugatti had died in Read More
Giugiaro’s Maserati Boomerang was first displayed as a non-functional model at the Turin motor show in 1971. By the Geneva show in March,1972, it had been transformed into a fully operational vehicle. The mechanicals were borrowed from the Maserati Bora.
With its 4.7-liter V8 engine developing 310 horsepower, the Boomerang was good for an indicated top speed of 185 miles per hour. One journalist observed it looked as though it was doing 100 miles per hour standing still. The Read More
In 1964, Ferruccio Lamborghini unveiled his V12 competitor to Ferrari, the 350 GT, at the Geneva Auto Show. The car, which featured a four-cam, 3.5-liter V12 engine designed by Giotto Bizzarini, a tubular steel chassis, four-wheel independent suspension, four-wheel disc brakes and a ZF gearbox, was Lamborghini’s first serial-production GT. The automotive world loved it.
In 1966 the engine was increased to 3.9 liters and the ZF transmission was replaced with a gearbox built by Lamborghini itself. The differential Read More
The introduction of the Fulvia sedan in 1963 maintained Lancia’s reputation for innovation in automobile design. The boxy replacement for the Appia featured an all-new, narrow-angle, V4, overhead-camshaft engine, along with front-wheel drive, independent front suspension by double wishbones and disc brakes all around. A 2+2 coupe version on a shorter wheelbase was launched in 1965.
Though mechanically similar, the newcomer had all the visual presence its progenitor lacked and came with—initially—a 1261-cc engine producing 80 bhp. Tuned HF versions Read More
According to factory records supplied by the ever-helpful Maserati expert Ermanno Cozza, this desirable car left the factory on February 22, 1957, and was delivered new to Maserati’s California dealer, M. Rezzaghi. Records show that the car was next owned in 1959 by M.C. Valdez of San Diego and further evidence shows that it was owned by William Victor Hahn, also of San Diego, from June 1972 onwards. Claudio Zampoli of 1990’s Cizeta Moroder 18-cylinder fame then owned it Read More
Presented at the Paris Auto Show in 1963, Jean Redele unveiled the Alpine A110 after his prior successes with the A106 and A108. The A110 was a true departure for the company as styling was largely revised and the Dieppe-based firm began building one of their more respected models that would remain in limited production for over a decade.
The A110 was equipped with various powerplants throughout its production. In the 15 years, only 7,812 examples were built, including Read More
The Countach debuted at the Geneva Auto Salon as a show car in 1971 and was introduced to the European market in 1974. In polite terms, the name Countach is Italian slang for “Good Lord!” or simply, “Wow!” This exclamation aptly describes most car lovers’ response on seeing the car for the first time. Wildly futuristic in the ’70s, the Countach was the work of Marcello Gandini at the Carrozzeria Nuccio Bertone.
First introduced as an LP 400, the Read More
Fresh thinking in road-car design and success in both racing and rallying are the hallmarks of Lancia, which has always been known for innovative and advanced designs.
By the 1950s the company was fully involved in motorsport, with Lancia winning the great Targa Florio, the Carrera Panamericana, the Liege-Rome-Liege and the Mille Miglia. The road cars were stylish, and in the case of the Appia, which was the mainstay of the company’s fortunes, they were
The concept Read More