Scottsdale, Arizona (January 25, 2010) – Gooding & Company, the internationally-recognized auction house, collectively garnered $33.9 Million in sales, with a total of 114 out of 125 lots sold, during its two-day Scottsdale auction held on Friday, January 22 and Saturday, January 23. This year’s top-seller was the 1956 Jaguar D-Type Sports Racer that sold for $3.74 Million, a star for its noteworthy provenance and stunning restoration. The sale of the D-Type marks the third consecutive year that Gooding & Company has sold the top-selling car of Scottsdale Auction Week.
“This year was our most successful Scottsdale auction to date with a total of 91% sold,” said David Gooding, president and founder of Gooding & Company. “We were thrilled to bring such an outstanding collection of automobiles to Arizona and to have so many cars break the $1 Million range.”
Gooding & Company broke two world records with the sale of the 1959 Costin Lister Jaguar Sports Racer for $1.1 Million on Friday and the sale of the 1932 Alfa Romeo 6C 1750 Series V Gran Sport for $1.54 Million on Saturday. This success follows in the wake of a strong $50+ Million sale in August at the 2009 Pebble Beach Auction. Once again, Gooding & Company attracted automotive collectors and enthusiasts from around the world for its third consecutive year at the Scottsdale Fashion Square Mall.
Gooding & Company made a significant donation to the International Response Fund of the American Red Cross this week to benefit the relief efforts in Haiti and also hosted a successful donation center on site during its Friday Auction.
Gooding & Company’s top ten sales results from both Friday and Saturday include:
• 1956 Jaguar D-Type Sports Racer at $3.47 Million (Friday, Lot 16)
• 1959 Ferrari 250 GT Series 1 Cabriolet at $2.145 Million (Saturday, Lot 118)
• 1934 Duesenberg Model J Disappearing-Top Convertible Coupe at $1.815 Million (Friday, Lot 9)
• 1936 Hispano-Suiza Type 68 J12 Cabriolet at $1.54 Million (Saturday, Lot 127)
• 1932 Alfa Romeo 6C 1750 Series V Gran Sport at $1.54 Million (Saturday, Lot 141)
• 1959 Costin Lister Jaguar Sports Racer at $1.1 Million (Friday, Lot 23)
• 1965 Shelby 427 S/C Cobra at $1.028 Million (Saturday, Lot 132)
• 1930 Duesenberg Model J Convertible Berline at $825,000 (Saturday, Lot 109)
• 1965 Ferrari 275 GTB at $737,000 (Saturday, Lot 160)
• 1927 Bentley 6 ½-Litre Sport Coupe at $726,000 (Friday, Lot 39)
For more information, visit www.goodingco.com.