Mecum Auction sold more than 1,000 vehicles at their 23rd Annual Original Spring Classic Auction, May 19-23, 2010, in Indianapolis, Ind., where they offered an eclectic mix of classic muscle, race cars, trucks and even a Howard airplane. Total gross sales (excluding buyer’s premium) for the five-day auction were $41.7 million.
“A high-energy crowd and eager bidders participated in our flagship Original Spring Classic Auction, which had a final sell-through rate of 66%,” said President Dana Mecum. “As our largest annual event, we strive to give enthusiasts a wide variety of vehicles to see, enjoy and purchase. The buildings at the Indiana State Fairgrounds were packed wall to wall with everything from rare pace cars, exotic Mercedes-Benz and Model T’s to wooden boats, tractors and neon signs. There truly was something for every taste and budget.”
The auction’s top-selling vehicle was the 1963 Harley J. Earl Corvette, which sold for $925,000. Featuring a 327 cubic inch engine, the Corvette boasts a 4-speed manual transmission; distinct dual instrument panels and stainless steel side-exit exhausts that sprout from behind the front wheel wells; and chrome trim, exterior emblems, interior control knobs and four-wheel disc brakes that are all pre-production 1965 parts. A hand-written number code inside the door trim panel confirms Shop Order (S.O.) 10323, indicating a special hand-built, one-of-a-kind Corvette.
Mecum’s Original Spring Classic Top 10 Sales (all sales reflect hammer prices) were:
- 1963 Harley J. Earl Corvette (Lot S116) at $925,000
- 1970 Dodge Hemi Challenger Convertible 426/425 HP (Lot F225) at $750,000
- 1966 Shelby Cobra Roadster 427 CI, 4-Speed (Lot F220) at $625,000
- 1963 Pontiac Tempest Coupe 421 Super Duty (Lot S114.1) at $455,000
- 1963 Pontiac Tempest Station Wagon 421 Super Duty (Lot S114) at $450,000
- 1965 Shelby Cobra 289 CSX2291 (Lot S161) at $360,000
- 1966 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe Bergen & Johnson (Lot S140) at $305,000
- 1957 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible (Lot S247) at $280,000
- 1964 Ford Thunderbolt (Lot S137) at $260,000
- 1965 Pontiac GTO GeeTO Tiger (Lot S115) at $250,000
More than 30,000 buyers, sellers and general car enthusiasts attended this year’s auction.
Complete Original Spring Classic Auction results are available to Mecum InfoNet members, which is free to join at www.Mecum.com. Mecum InfoNet members can log in to see car-by-car results by visiting the Results Page. Mecum’s upcoming St. Paul Auction with the Minnesota Street Rod Association has been expanded to two days, June 18-19, 2010, at the Minnesota State Fairgrounds and will feature 400 collector cars. Tickets are available at the door for $10.