MARENGO, ILLINOIS (September 16, 2009) – Mecum Auction sold a variety of extraordinary and unique neon signs, rare parts and memorabilia to buyers across the globe during its McDorman Sign Auction, Sept. 11-12, 2009, at Bob McDorman Chevrolet in Canal Winchester, Ohio. Total gross sales for the two-day auction were just over $2 million.
“We had a great range of buyers at the McDorman Sign Auction including individuals looking for specific pieces for their homes, as well as a number of hobbyists, collectors and dealers purchasing for other buyers,” said Dana Mecum, president, Mecum Auctions. “The memorabilia and parts sold very strong with a rare set of Corvette wheels garnering one of the highest bids of the auction at $22,000. With the growing popularity of automobilia, we expect neon signs and parts to be a successful aspect of the Mecum Auction business as we move forward.”
The top-selling piece of neon, a 10-foot-by-27-foot Chevrolet Bowtie from the St. Louis Corvette Assembly plant, sold for $39,000. Mecum’s Top 10 Sales for the McDorman Sign Auction (all sales reflect hammer prices) were:
1. 10’x27′ Chevrolet Bowtie (Lot S3) at $39,000
2. 3’x15′ Chevrolet Vertical with Bowtie (Lot S46) at $30,000
3. 10’x11′ Chevrolet Used Cars (Lot S30) at $28,000
4. 6’x8′ Chevrolet Two-Sided Clock (Lot S2) at $26,000
5. 43″x52″ Socony Oil Rack (Lot Z498) at $22,000
6. 3’x10′ SOHIO Rotating Sign with Air/Water (Lot Z381) at $22,000
7. 2’x12′ Chevrolet Vertical Two-Sided Sign (Lot S43) at $22,000
8. 1957 Corvette SR2 Magnesium Wheel Set (5) (Lot P185) at $22,000
9. 4’x24′ Oldsmobile Rocket Two-Sided Sign (Lot S35) at $20,000
10. 4’x12′ Oldsmobile/Cadillac Two-Sided Sign (Lot S22) at $19,000
Internet and phone sales were very strong at Mecum’s McDorman Sign Auction. The company recently launched an online bidding process where interested buyers can participate in live auctions via the Internet.
“Our new Internet bidding option is a very viable solution for absentee bidders, including many international buyers who are unable to attend Mecum events,” said Mecum.
Visit www.mecum.com for more.