MARENGO, IL – It was a weekend of rock-n-roll, classic muscle, and extraordinary cars at Mecum’s St. Charles Auction, Oct. 1-4, 2009, at Pheasant Run Resort in St. Charles, IL. The four-day auction boasted total gross sales (excluding buyer’s premium) of $11.3m.
Mecum offered more than 750 collector cars, nearly 100 vintage signs and automotive memorabilia to registered bidders, reporting a 55% sold rate for the auction.
“The wide variety of vehicles and entertaining atmosphere at this auction drew a wonderful crowd of both first-time buyers and established collectors out to St. Charles,” said President Dana Mecum. “Helping buyers find their dream car – whether it’s a 1976 Cadillac Eldorado you’ve wanted since childhood or a Chevrolet Nova SS owned by the former lead singer of the band Foreigner—is Mecum Auction’s No. 1 priority.”
Mecum’s St. Charles Auction lineup included selling four cars for former Foreigner lead singer Lou Gramm as well as a 1969 AMC AMX-400 custom built by the “King of Kustomizers” George Barris. Both Gramm, who has been a Mecum Auction customer for 10 years, and Barris were onsite to sign autographs and watch their vehicles cross the block.
Mecum’s Top 10 Sales for the St. Charles Auction (all sales figures reflect hammer prices) were:
1. 1970 Pontiac Ram Air IV GTO Judge Convertible (Lot S97) – one of 17 built – at $350,000
2. 1968 Dodge Hemi Dart (Lot S93) at $163,000
3. 1929 Infiniti Q29 Flyer Roadster (Lot S122) at $130,000
4. 1967 Shelby GT500 Fastback (Lot S194) at $128,000
5. 1967 Shelby Mustang GT350 Fastback (Lot S86) at $117,500
6. 1957 Rolls-Royce Silver Wraith Touring Limousine (Lot U61) at $115,000
7. 1969 AMC AMX-400 Coupe George Barris Kustom (Lot S105) at $100,000
8. 1959 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (Lot S145) at $97,000
9. 1967 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible 427/435 HP (Lot S106) at $92,000
10. 1969 Pontiac Trans Am Coupe (Lot F185) at $86,000
Complete auction results are available to Mecum InfoNet members, which is free to join at www.Mecum.com. Mecum InfoNet members can log in to see car-by-car results by visiting the Consignments Page.
The upcoming Kansas City Auction features more than 700 vehicles Dec. 4-5, 2009, at Kansas City Convention Center/Bartle Hall. It will be broadcast live on Mecum’s television series, “Mecum Auto Auction: Muscle Cars & More” on HD Theater – Discovery Communications’ first 24-hour high-definition cable network, offering compelling real-world and motorized content. Tickets are available at the door for $10.
The Mecum Auction Company has been specializing in the sale of collector cars for 22 years, now offering more than 5,000 collector cars per year. Consignment, bidder, event and accommodation information is available online at www.Mecum.com or by calling 815.568.8888.