Marengo, IL — A 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle SS 454 with less than 24,000 miles was the top seller at the recent Mecum St. Paul Auction, June 18-19, 2010, at the Minnesota State Fairgrounds. The 454/450 HP 4-Speed muscle car crossed the block at $72,500.
Held in conjunction with the Minnesota Street Rod Association’s 37th annual “Back to the ’50s” rod and custom show, Mecum’s St. Paul Auction had a 50% sell-through rate. Total gross sales (excluding buyer’s premium) for the auction was more than $2.4m.
Top 10 Sales at the St. Paul Auction (all sales reflect hammer prices) were:
1. 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle SS 454 2-Door Hardtop (Lot F77) at $72,500
2. 1968 Shelby GT350 Fastback 302 CI (Lot S101) at $63,000
3. 1955 Chevrolet Bel Air Convertible 265 CI (Lot S88) at $58,000
4. 1932 Ford Custom Stratoliner Roadster 350/375 HP (Lot S163) at $58,000
5. 1955 Pontiac Starchief Convertible 287 CI (Lot S122) at $54,000
6. 1934 Ford Cabriolet 221/130 HP (Lot S81) at $53,000
7. 1940 Ford Pickup 3-Speed (Lot S99) at $45,000
8. 1937 Ford Street Rod Convertible 350/350 HP (Lot S58.1) at $42,000
9. 2008 Shelby GT500 500 HP (Lot S138) at $39,000
10. 1969 Dodge Superbee (Lot S119) at $37,500
Complete Original Spring Classic Auction results are available to Mecum InfoNet members, which is free to join at http://www.Mecum.com. Mecum InfoNet members can log in to see car-by-car results by visiting the Results Page.
The Mecum Auction Company has been specializing in the sale of collector cars for 23 years, now offering an industry-leading 5,000 collector cars per year. Consignment, bidder and event information is available online at http://www.Mecum.com or by calling 815.568.8888.