The general public could be forgiven for thinking that the Stutz Bearcat was the only model made by the company. However, since 1911 when Harry Stutz had set up his own firm, there had always been two-seat roadsters and touring cars to keep the limited number of Bearcats made each year company. Mechanically there was no significant difference between the stark Bearcat and the far more practical roadster, simply a ten-inch shorter wheelbase and less bodywork for the former.
In the latter part of 1917, Stutz introduced its own 16-valve twin-spark engine for all models. This T-head engine provided outstanding torque, transmitted through a three-speed transaxle, a Stutz feature from the first cars to wear the badge. They could be driven from a walking pace to speeds approaching 100 mph in top gear and it’s not surprising that Stutz cars were highly successful in racing from the very first, and achieved public recognition far beyond the relatively small number of cars actually produced.
At one time the Stutz pictured here was owned by the well-known Rolls-Royce collector, the late Rick Carroll. In 1975 it was bought by Herbert Watts, who undertook a complete and meticulous restoration of the car. The quality and authenticity of the restoration resulted in the car becoming an award winner in many AACA events from 1976 through 1980. The car was imported into the UK in the late 1980s and has proved to be completely reliable in numerous runs since that time. Currently the car is fitted with directional signals, modified rear lights and oil pressure and water temperature gauges for practical use on modern-day roads. These items could be easily removed if the new owner wishes to return it to its totally authentic appearance.
The car is eligible for a variety of antique auto and vintage sports car events ranging from light touring to all-out competition.