The Nationale Automobile-Gesellschaft (NAG) was formed from earlier motorcar and electrical manufacturing concerns in Berlin in 1915 and survived until the 1930s. It was then absorbed by a group which is still in existence today. The constituent companies had produced many different models of cars (at least one of which was used by the Kaiser) including electric powered versions and numerous commercial vehicles, mostly buses.
The 4 1/2-liter V8 NAG appeared in 1931. It was the first V8 motorcar engine to be produced in Germany, and the whole car was of advanced design and proved very reliable. The brakes were hydraulically operated and the electrical system was 12-volt.
This particular example is the only surviving NAG V-8 in Switzerland and one of the few known to exist world-wide. The four-seater drophead coupe’s bodywork, Drauz, is very elegant and the design has won many awards in concours events.
This car has been in Switzerland since 1933 and has been owned by the same person for more than 35 years. It has been regularly used and carefully looked after. The engine bay is clean and the chassis in excellent condition. The paintwork, in green, and the chrome are both still very good. The interior is also very good throughout, the original green leather seat trim and the carpets, dashboards and instruments having a lovely patina. On a short test drive the car performed remarkably well. This is an unusual, attractive and highly interesting motorcar with historical significance.