This XK 120 drophead coupe is number 266 of just 294 right-hand-drive examples (out of 1,769 DHC cars) produced. The drophead model run was from April 1953 to August 1954. Equipped with the “SE” option package and C-type cylinder head, this example sports the 3/8-inch lift cams, lightened flywheel and damper, dual exhausts, and wire wheels.
These options boosted the base model by 50 hp, with Jaguar claiming 210 hp at 5,750 rpm. The car is supplied with Jaguar Production Trace Certificate and was completed May 26, 1954.
Ownership succession is fully documented, and in 1989 the car was then subject to a full engine and gearbox rebuild by marque specialist Derek Bullmore and later to a complete frame-off, 2,700-hour restoration by Classic Coachbuilders of Sittingbourne, Kent. It was later featured in a London Times article by Lord Montague of Beaulieu in May 1995.
This 1954 Jaguar XK 120SE Drophead was last sold for $81,117, including buyer’s premium, at the Brooks Olympia auction of February 22, 1997 (SCM# 19040). It has been part of a large private collection since then and used sparingly.