Of the Maserati sports racing cars that took part in competition during the late 1940s and early 1950s, one of the most successful was the A6G/CS of 1947. On its debut in the 1947 Circuit of Modeno Alberto Ascari and Luigi Viloresi finished 1st and 2nd overall, while regular class wins included such events as the 1955 Mille Miglia. A series of related A6G models, both for road and track, soon followed, the last of which appeared at the 1954 Paris Salon.
Appropriately named the A6G/54, it sported a similar chassis to the A6G/CS, i.e., a tubular frame with independent coil spring front suspension and a live, leaf-sprung rear axle. Power came from a 2-liter, twin overhead camshaft version of the six cylinder engine which, displacing 1,986 cc, and differing from that in the A6G/CS in having chain rather than gear-driven cams, and a wet rather than dry sump, produced an impressive 150 bhp at 6,000 rpm via triple choke, sidedraft Weber carburetors. Alloy coachwork was available from three stylists, the Tipo A and B being a spyder and a coupe respectively by Frua, the Tipo C an Allamano coupe and the Tipo D by Zagato.
Courtesy of an excellent power-to-weight ratio – the coupe weighed just 840 kg – the A6G/54 could exceed 125 mph allied to rapid acceleration via its four-speed gearbox, which, combined with exceptional roadholding, made it a formidable machine in competition.
It was the beautifully styled Zagato coachwork, however, being the lightest and most aerodynamic – and with a top speed of 130 mph – that prove the favorite for racing use, the car always finishing well in a variety of events. When production of the A6G/54 ended in 1957, to be replaced by the 3500GT, just 60 of these exciting machines had been built. Of that total only 20 – all differing in minor styling detail – carried Zagato coachwork, just a handful of which were also paneled in magnesium rather than aluminum alloy.
Supplied new to a Monsieur Dagaseaux in France on July 11 1955, this car is the seventh A6G/54 produced and the third built with Zagato coachwork. Purchased from Sussex in the late 1970s by active MOC member Ken Painter – who published an article on the car in the Club’s “Trident” magazine – together with an Allemano A6G/2000, it was then sold to Peter Kaus who displayed it in his world-famous Rosso Bianco Museum in Germany. While there it was repainted in Old English White with a central red stripe, contrasting well with the blue interior, the latter displaying a wonderful patina including such details as a scalloped gear-lever knob machined from a solid alloy billet.
Otherwise the car is in fabulously original condition, and may be the most original example in existence anywhere in the world. As such it is eminently eligible for the Mille Miglia and an ideal machine for a variety of historic competitions.