1956 Maserati A6G2000 Spider

Following their competition success with the sports-racing A6GCS models through 1953, in 1954, Maserati introduced a second series for a production run of road-going sports and coupe designs on a similar chassis. The twin-cam, 2-liter, 6-cylinder engine fitted into the well-designed twin-tubular chassis layout, which proved ideal to receive coachwork designs by the leading Italian stylists such as Frua, Pinin Farina and Zagato.
Some sixty-five A6G/54 chassis were built, of which this car, chassis 2123, was one of seven originally bodied with the elegant and attractive “double-bubble” coupe coachwork by Zagato. It was delivered new in Italy to a Signor Cattrini of Brescia, who used it competitively in local racing and hill-climbs such as the Monte-Bandoni, Trento and Maloja Pass road events during the late 1950s. From the factory build sheets it has been noted that some special features were included in the specification to incorporate some A6GCS racing components, including brakes, hubs, clutch, valve-springs and some instrumentation. The engine and chassis are specified normal A6G/54 type, with induction provided by three twin-choke Weber 40DC03 carburetors, and the machine shod with Pirelli 600×16 tires on Borrani alloy-rimmed wire-spoke wheels.
In 1959 the car was sold to Peter Daimler, grandson of the automobile pioneer and founding father of the German motor industry, Otto Daimler. He continued the tradition of road-racing hill-climb events in it, competing at Rossfeld, Berchtesgaden and Hasselburg near Linz in Austria, where he inverted the machine, seriously damaging the bodywork, but fortuitously not the driver. As a result, the car was sent back to the Zagato works in Modena, where it was assessed very expensive to restore the coupe coachwork. It was decided more expediently that conversion to an open two-seater was a better option. It is this very attractively styled Spider body that it still wears today.
The car thus restored, it remained in Daimler’s ownership until 1966 when he sold it to Mr. Rudolf Patzl, who lived in Vienna. It stayed until 1973, when discovered by English dealer Colin Crabbe, who brokered a sale to the current vendor. He has used it only as a road car primarily for Continental touring and road events. It was prepared for the Scottish Tour by Maserati specialist Peter Shaw in the mid-1980s, since when it has been regularly maintained by its enthusiast owner primarily for Maserati Club events.
It is described as good mechanically and sound bodily, although the top may need attention. Included with the car is a spare gearbox casing with some internals and a small quantity of original Maserati tools. There is complete documentation of its history from 1959 to 1973.
This car would be ideally suitable for historic and retrospective events such as the Mille Miglia, Tour de France and many other rally or sporting ventures.