With its outstanding engineering, perfectly sketched lines, charismatic proportions, breathtaking race results and great drivers, the 335 S perfectly symbolizes Ferrari in the 1950s.
The heart of sporting Italians beat to the rhythm of the Mille Miglia, which was to them “the greatest race in the world.” In 1956, Ferrari entered a new V12 sports racer along with their 4-cylinder cars to contest the event. The new 290 MM featured an overhead-cam, dual-ignition, 340-hp, 3.5-liter V12 engine derived from Ferrari’s Grand Prix single-seaters. The engine powered Eugenio Castellotti to victory.
The 290 MM evolved into the quad-cam 290 S, then into a 3.8-liter 315 S. The final evolution of the line was the 4-liter Tipo 141 335 S. This four-cam, double-ignition, six-carb, 380-hp monster represented the most advanced engineering of its day.
Ferrari chassis 0674 was built as a 315 S barchetta. After a run in the 1957 Sebring and Mille Miglia, 0674 was returned to the factory and upgraded to 4-liter 335 S specs for the Le Mans 24 Hours race. After Le Mans, the Ferrari then went back to the factory again, where the front was modified in the style of the 250 Testa Rossa “pontoon fender,” to help cool the brakes for the Venezuelan Grand Prix.
Venezuela was a battle between Ferrari and Maserati for the World Championship. The Maseratis all retired, clearing the way for Ferrari, who finished 1-2-3-4. The 2nd-place finish of Hawthorn-Musso in chassis 0674 played a major part in winning the title.
Luigi Chinetti then bought 0674, sending it to Cuba, where, sporting the NART livery of blue with a white stripe, it drove to victory with Masten Gregory and Stirling Moss at the controls. After Cuba, Chinetti rented the car for various races — often with Gaston Andrey and Lance Reventlow as drivers. They had some excellent results, including a victory in the Road America 500 and on the circuits of Thompson and Watkins Glen.
In 1960, the Ferrari was sold to Robert N. Dusek. Dusek sold the car to Pierre Bardinon, one of the most knowledgeable Ferrari collectors in the world.
Bardinon sent the car to Fantuzzi to be restored to its original, non-pontoon configuration. The pontoon nose was restored for display and accompanies the car.
Despite several lucrative offers, Bardinon refused to sell the 335 S. He saw this car as an essential part of his collection.
It is rare that a racing car of this caliber is available for purchase. It has a clear and direct history, with no uncertainty and a small number of owners. Such provenance, racing history and historical importance makes this one of the most important Ferraris in the history of motorsport.