Glamorous and ultra-rare, this beautiful Series II example was delivered new on January 27, 1958, to the BMW agent Wolfgang Denzel in Vienna, Austria — as confirmed in a letter from BMW Group Classic. On February 10, 1958, the BMW was registered to Kommerzienrat Fritz Quester, Vienna. The original exterior color was silver-gray. No records exist for the succeeding decade or so.
By mid-June 1971, the BMW was owned by no less a person than its designer, Count Albrecht Graf von Goertz, as recorded in documents issued by the Customs Office, Koblenz, on June 16, 1971. Not long after its acquisition (in August 1972) the car was fitted with a replacement engine at Autohaus Martini, as evidenced by their letter to one Klaus Schubert of Berlin, acting for Goertz. BMW’s guarantee for the new engine is on file also.
The next owner (from May 15, 1985) is documented, the last licensing stamp in the relevant Fahrzeugbrief being dated October 1990. It is understood that the BMW was then extensively restored in the 1990s before passing on April 19, 2000, to a new owner.
Described by the vendor as in good, restored condition, chassis 70100 represents a rare opportunity to own one of these exclusive BMW sports cars — rarer than a Mercedes-Benz 300SL.