It takes a while for enthusiasts to realize these cars are about craftsmanship and balance, rather than style
Mercedes continued its tradition of quality in the mid-1950s with the 220S and 300 model range. The 220S was offered in saloon, coupe, and convertible form.
The 220S Convertible (W128) was produced in limited numbers from 1956 to 1959. It was the last of the “Ponton” series, which had begun in 1953 with the 180 and featured a unitized construction and fully independent suspension. It was powered by a 2.2-liter OHC, 6-cylinder engine with aluminum head. An automatic clutch was available, along with the column-mounted 4-speed manual transmission.
The “Ponton” series was succeeded by the “Fintail” for 1960.
Offered here is a beautiful 220S convertible from the Walter B. Satterthwaite Collection. At the time it was sold new, this car was almost as expensive as a Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz. Nearly every surface was covered in leather or wood, and matching leather luggage was optional. Coming out of a long hibernation and available for the first time in decades, this example is equipped with a Becker radio, factory clock, and other accessories.