Jaguar turned the motoring world upside-down and inside-out when it introduced the XK 120 in 1948. It combined a powerful 160-bhp twin-cam straight-six with the most sensuous body ever seen on a production automobile. The combination of the 120-mph top speed, beauty and value had the celebrities lining up for their copies. Basic specifications called for mating the gorgeous 3.4-liter twin-cam engine to a four-speed Moss gearbox. Front suspension was independent by torsion bars, while the driven solid rear axle was suspended—and located—by longitudinal leaf springs.
A fixed-head coupe and a drophead coupe soon joined the original OTS (open two-seater). In 1954, the XK 120 was superceded by the more luxurious XK 140, which adopted the 190-bhp engine as its base power plant and offered much more comprehensive bumper protection. Using the cylinder head from the Le Mans-winning C-type, the Special Equipment XK 140—often referred to as the MC—was propelled by a 210-bhp version of the lusty 3.4-liter engine.
The final iteration of the classic Jaguar XK came along in 1957 with the XK 150. The 3.4-liter engine remained essentially unchanged, as did the 102-inch wheelbase. However, the extensive alterations to the body made this look almost like an entirely new car, although the Jaguar family resemblance was still striking. The big news, though, was that every XK 150 came standard with four-wheel disc brakes, the innovation that had helped the famed Coventry marque conquer Le Mans repeatedly. Like the XK 140 it replaced, the 150 was offered from the onset in open two-seater, fixed-head coupe, and drophead coupe forms. Arguably the most elegant of the XK 150 line, the drophead offered greater comfort and superior weather protection than the OTS model.
This spectacular XK 150 was delivered new to Vancouver, British Columbia, in 1960. Although it has always been a Canadian car, it is absolutely rust-free. In the mid-’90s, the car was stripped to the base metal and refinished in gleaming British Racing Green. The owner proudly states that the body was prepared by “an English panel beater” who used only lead solder in those instances where filler was required. Inside, the interior is trimmed in tan leather and the top is of black mohair cloth. To set off the gleaming rich green paint and contrasting tan upholstery, the car rolls on correct 16-inch chrome wire wheels.
Although this genuine, three-owner, 83,000-mile car has never required any major mechanical work or restoration, it has had a complete overhaul of the braking system, a new fuel tank and stainless steel exhaust. The original 3.4-liter engine runs beautifully and the overdrive Moss gearbox is in fine fettle.
In every respect, this is an excellent example of a most sought-after British classic, in a most appealing color scheme. This car is perfect to tour, show, or simply covet.