The Type 904, born of Porsche’s disappointing foray into Formula One in the early 1960s, was produced to bring the company back to its racing sports car roots. In 1962, the immensely talented Ferdinand A. “Butzi” Porsche was tasked with designing a new two-seat competition coupe that could also be driven on the street by utilizing the mid-engine chassis configuration that had proven so successful with the racing department’s lightweight Spyders.
The beautifully balanced 904 GTS was introduced in early 1964, and it enjoyed a brilliant inaugural season, scoring victories at Sebring, the Targa Florio, Spa, the Nürburgring 1000 Km, the 24 Hours of Le Mans (a 1–4 class sweep), the 12 Hours of Reims, the Coppa Inter-Europa, the Tour de France, the Bridgehampton 500 Km, and the 1000 Km of Paris.
Chassis number 904026 remained in a collection for nearly two decades before being sold to the previous owner, a knowledgeable Swiss enthusiast with a significant sports racing car collection.
During this ownership, the car was completely restored by Raceline Feustel GmbH, a German company that specializes in racing Porsches. The meticulous restoration addressed every aspect of the 904 and was performed to the highest possible standard, even going so far as to use the original bench on which the first 904 chassis were assembled. In total, this owner reportedly spent $800,000 on the full restoration and preparation. In this ownership, the car was not raced, rallied or shown post-restoration. The current owner bought the car in recent years, and it has been campaigned at the 2012 Silver Flag event in Vernasca, where it won the prize for the best GT-category car.