It was evident to Porsche management in the late ’50s that the 356 series was rapidly becoming dated and reaching the end of its development potential, so in 1959 Ferdinand Porsche began designing a new car. A number of criteria were laid down: the car would have no more than a 2,200-mm wheelbase and would carry two adults and two children.
The new model was introduced at the Frankfurt Show in September, 1963. It was a significant advance on the outgoing car, providing greater performance, space and refinement. The new engine, a 1991cc opposed 6-cylinder unit, was designed by Ferdinand Piech, Dr. Porsche’s nephew. Situated in the rear to maximize space efficiency, it produced 130 bhp.
The 911 “S” was Porsche’s top-of-the-range sporting model throughout the late 1960s and early 1970s, a period when the purest and most desirable versions of the 911 were produced. The 911S boasted a higher fifth gear, anti-rollbars front and rear, Koni shock absorbers and ventilated disc brakes, later also receiving alloy front brake calipers. The engine was also improved with higher compression and improved breathing which produced 160 bhp. Only 4,689 of these high-specification short-wheelbase 911S’s were produced in coupe form in 1967-68.
Another 1,160 of the less-desirable, from a performance standpoint, 911S Targas were built. Of the coupes, probably less than 100 were available in right-hand drive. (In 1969 the wheelbase of the 911 was lengthened, reducing its agility and starting the overall softening that was to dilute the sporting essence of Piech’s original design.)
This 1967 model is especially desirable as its date of manufacture qualifies it for historic rallying, a practice at which the 911 excels with its power and agile handling. Described as in overall excellent condition, it has had only two owners from new, the second undertaking a sympathetic restoration.