The year after production of the legendary 911 had commenced in 1964, Porsche introduced the similarly bodied 912 as an entry-level model to the prestigious German marque. As such, it shared its monocoque steel chassis with that of the 911, together with independent front torsion bar and trailing arm rear suspension with all-around disc brakes. At the 912’s heart, however, was a 1582-cc flat four-cylinder engine-rather than the 911’s 1991-cc six-cylinder unit-that had last seen service in the final 356 model that the 911 had effectively replaced. Although the 912’s performance was naturally not as rapid as that of its larger-engined stablemate, its 90 bhp at 5,880 rpm, allied to 90 1b.-ft. at 3,500 rpm, was nonetheless sufficient to provide respectable 0-60 mph acceleration in 11.9 seconds and an impressive top speed of 121mph.
Changes during the 912’s four-year production life were minimal, the most notable being a power output increase in 1966 to 102 bhp, again at 5,800 rpm and the 2.24-inch increase in wheelbase introduced simultaneously with the 911 late in 1968. The former improved overall acceleration, with 0-60 mph dropping to 11.5 seconds, while the extra wheelbase length markedly improved the model’s handling; the benefit of this to the 912 was to be short lived, however, Porsche having introduced a relatively inexpensive base model 911, the 911T, with carburetors rather than fuel injection. This was to prove a popular addition to the range, with the result that the 912 was phased out of production over 1968-69 after only around 200 long-wheelbase examples had been built.
This very original example pictured here has had the benefit of residing in one person’s ownership from new. Described as good in every respect and still retaining the original instrumentation and radio, it is finished in dark green with a black interior.