Before World War Two, Donald Healey’s achievements included an outright win with an Invecta at Monte Carlo and no less than six Alpine Cups. He drove and designed cars for Triumph from 1934 to 1939, but after the war he decided to go it alone and produced a series of sports cars which soon ran up an impressive number of successes in events such as the Targa Florio, the Mille Miglia and the 24 hour races at Spa and Le Mans. In 1952 he showed his Healey Hundred at the Motor Show; this used the 4-cylinder, 2.6-liter Austin A90 engine, and by the time the show closed the car had attracted so much attention that arrangements had been made for production to be undertaken by the Austin Motor Co., as Healey’s own factory would not have been able to cope with the demand. The name of the car then became Austin Healey and it soon distinguished itelf on road and track and sold briskly all over the world.
In September 1956 the Austin Healey 100/6 was introduced using the six-cylinder, 2,638 cc BMC engine from the new Austin Westminster, which produced 102 bhp at 4,600 rpm and was a great deal more flexible and smooth, while the BN2 gearbox now featured overdrive. The 100/6 was phenomenally successful on the road and especially in the international rally world, being campaigned by many of the best-known drivers of the day.
The left-handed drive 100/6 pictured here was sold new to the North American market. It returned to the UK last year, since when it has been the subject of a complete restoration; a total body renovation and mechanical overhaul with new chrome, trim, carpets, upholstery, glass and chrome wire wheels has brought the car to its current ‘near concours’ condition. There can be few Healeys available finished to such a high standard. Coachwork is finished in a particularly eye-catching combination of white over black with contrasting red interior.