Similar to the preceding TR4A — the first TR with independent rear suspension — but with Triumph’s 2.5-liter, 6-cylinder engine installed in place of the old 2.1-liter four, the TR5 was produced during the 1968 model year only (October 1967 to November 1968) pending the arrival of the restyled TR6.
The bulk of production was built in TR250 export trim, with twin Stromberg carburetors to meet U.S. emissions requirements and a reduced power output of 105 hp. U.K. models came Read More
With the Interceptor saloon’s introduction in 1967, Jensen had switched from glassfibre to steel for its car bodies. Underneath, the preceding C-V8’s robust chassis, running gear and 6,276-cc Chrysler engine remained substantially unchanged. With around 280 bhp on tap, performance was more than adequate, The Motor recording a top speed of 140 mph with 100 mph arriving in 19 seconds. Four-wheel, servo-assisted Dunlop discs looked after the braking, while ride quality could be varied by the Armstrong Selectaride dampers’ dashboard Read More
Launched in 1936 alongside the 2½-liter saloon, the SS 100 Jaguar sports car marked the company’s first use of the Jaguar name. Beautifully styled in the manner of its SS 90 predecessor, the newcomer employed a shorter, 102-inch wheelbase chassis and a revised version of the 2,663-cc Standard Six which produced 104 bhp. In 1938, a 3½-liter version producing 125 bhp was added to the range, making the SS 100 a genuine 100-mph car.
Although a fine touring car, the Read More
The culmination of Aston Martin’s long-running line of DB 6-cylinder sports saloons and thus considered by many to be the last real Aston, the DB6 had been introduced in 1965, updating the DB5.
Although recognizably related to the Touring-styled DB4 of 1958, the DB6 abandoned the Carrozzeria Touring-developed Superleggera body structure of its predecessors in favour of a conventional steel fabrication while retaining the aluminum outer panels.
Increased rear-seat space was the prime DB6 objective, so the wheelbase was now Read More
The final glorious incarnation of Jaguar’s fabulous XK series of sports cars arrived in 1957. The XK 150 was a progressive development of the XK 120 and XK 140, retaining the same basic chassis, 3.4-liter engine and 4-speed Moss transmission of its predecessors while benefiting from a new, wider body that provided increased interior space and improved visibility — courtesy of a single-piece wrap-around windscreen that replaced the XK 140’s divided screen.
Cleverly, the new body used many XK 120/140 Read More
The XJ 220 prototype was unveiled to the world in Birmingham in 1988. The car was greeted with enthusiasm, and the decision was taken to produce a limited series of 350 examples. As Jaguar was not set up to produce such a small series, the build project was given to Jaguar-Sport, a joint venture between Jaguar Car Ltd and TWR (Tom Walkinshaw Racing).
The heavy 12-cylinder setup gave way to a derivation of the lighter and less bulky V6 racing Read More
During the 1950s, the most accessible, most appealing, and in many cases, the most successful club racing car available to any aspiring racing driver was one of the products of the Donald Healey Motor Company’s famous factory at The Cape, Warwick.
This particularly appealing, and in period highly successful, Austin-Healey 100S is a shining example of the type. It has an outstanding record as one of the most successful 100S cars of its period, as it competed in no fewer Read More
DPE 608B was purchased new by the current vendor on August 12, 1964, from BMC dealer Jackson’s Garages of Godalming, Surrey. The Mini was primarily his road car but was raced whenever the opportunity arose. Early outings included Rufforth and Cadwell Park, both in September 1964, and Goodwood on March 13, 1965 (original program on file).
The Mini then passed through the hands of various other owners. In 2004, the vendor was able to buy it from Gordon Cameron, who Read More
The original Spen King-designed Range Rover was one of the British motor industry’s proudest success stories. When it went out of production at the end of 1996, it still looked as fresh and forward-thinking as it did back in 1970, when one was chosen for an exhibit in the Louvre as an example of modern sculpture.
The car was renamed the Range Rover Classic when the Mk II model was introduced in the autumn of 1994, but demand continued even Read More
This is the most famous Lagonda of all.
Special competition variants of the LG45 were tailor-made at Staines Bridge for the Lagonda company’s experienced and battle-hardened quasi-Works racing team: Fox & Nicholl Limited of Tolworth, Surrey. Just as Enzo Ferrari’s private Scuderia ran the quasi-Works Alfa Romeo team cars from 1932 to ’37, so Fox & Nicholl represented Lagonda’s vital interests in International motor racing.
For 1936, the production department at Staines Bridge built four competition cars specifically for Fox Read More