This is the Maserati factory team’s transporter of its World Championship-winning Fangio 250F season of 1957 — and which would also have taken Fangio’s Piccolo 250F (Chassis 2533) to the last race of his glittering career at Reims in 1958.
It was subsequently acquired by Lance Reventlow for his Team America Scarab assault upon the European Grand Prix series in 1960–61.
The transporter’s next American owners then made the most massive impact of the post-war period upon the European road-racing Read More
Initially road registered as P555 WRC but better known by its long-term moniker P18 WRC, this car had been given a superficial cosmetic refurbishment prior to entering the current ownership. Drawn to “first editions,” the vendor not only had Prodrive validate chassis 001 but also commissioned them to restore it to “original” condition (becoming the Banbury outfit’s first heritage customer in the process). The car was renovated using only original SRT parts, many of which would be even more difficult Read More
Manufactured by Robert Bamford and Lionel Martin, the first Aston-Martins (the hyphen is correct for the period) rapidly established a reputation for high performance and sporting prowess in the years immediately following World War I.
The foundations were laid for proper series production with the formation of Aston Martin Motors Ltd. in 1926 under the stewardship of Augustus “Bert” Bertelli and William Renwick. Bertelli understood the effect of competition success on sales and sanctioned the construction of two Works racers Read More
The Ferrari 250 GT LWB Berlinetta is one of the most influential and impressive automobiles ever produced. It is the most successful competition 250 GT Ferrari model, having garnered more victories than any other model, including the revered 250 GTO. With the 3.0-liter Colombo V12 engine fitted to Ferrari’s 2,600-millimeter wheelbase chassis, this car was the first of numerous highly desirable Ferraris including the 250 GT SWB Berlinetta and the 250 GTO.
With incredible alloy coachwork that was designed by Read More
This is a two-owner car originally from Laguna Beach, CA. The restoration was completed by David Zumstein. It is said that he has restored many concours-winning English cars. The engine was rebuilt with higher-performance cams, pistons and valve-train components to give the car a little more power for the driver to enjoy. This has a one-piece Weber aluminum cylinder head with twin Weber carburetors and its original Renault 5-speed manual transmission with new bushings in the linkage. The woodgrain on Read More
In recent years, front-engine Formula One car competition at historic and vintage level has seen the full flowering of a fabulous and brave American motor racing project that has been recalled with great pride and nostalgic pleasure by generations of road-racing enthusiasts.
Where front-running success in such historic races had for long years been the preserve of Italian Maserati 250Fs, then Ferrari Dino 246s and the British BRM Type 25s, the almost all-American Scarab-Offenhausers have in recent years rewritten the Read More
Of all the variations made of VW’s venerable Type 2 van from the first model in 1950 through the end of the air-cooled engine in 1984, the Westfalia camper is probably the most recognizable and the most popular among American buyers. Further, if there was a vehicle that could capture the hippie spirit of the 1960s, what else could it be but a VW Microbus kitted out for camping?
A better camper van
From the beginning of the line in Read More
This modern interpretation of the Sprint Zagato was also known internally as the ES-30, or Experimental Sports Three-Liter. This low-production, high-performance automobile was designed by Robert Opron and Antonio Castellana, who had based it on the floorpan of the Group A/IMSA Alfa 75. The front-engine/rear-drive design also borrowed that model’s 5-speed manual rear transaxle and suspension, which was comprised of lower front wishbones with coil springs, transverse links, and an anti-roll bar; in the rear, a De Dion axle with Read More
Readied in 1914 to replace the 4-cylinder 37/90, for all intents and purposes, the Mercedes 28/95 did not reach production until after World War I. By the time it did reach its customers, the big 7,280-cc, 90-bhp overhead-camshaft 6-cylinder engine had been fitted with a cover to enclose the previously exposed shaft-and-bevel gear-driven valve-gear.
Two Zenith updraft carburetors and individual intake passages to each cylinder ensured exceptional breathing for the period. The large six was closely related to the Daimler Read More