The “Missing Squire,” S/N X-103, was the second of seven cars built by the fledgling Squire Car Manufacturing Company in 1935 and was purchased by one of the company founders, G.F.A. “Jock” Manby-Colegrave. While the other six of the original Squires were known, the whereabouts of X-103 haven’t been so certain for the last 25 years.
It carries what many consider to be the most attractive coachwork of the three Vanden Plas-bodied cars.
X-103 passed through a number of hands and after World War II, while owned by Basil Porter Putt, its Anzani R1 engine was replaced with a 1.5-liter Salmson. X-103 later joined several other Squires in the United States and was purchased by Robert Davis, a resident of Albuquerque, New Mexico, sometime in the 1950s. He used the car in local sports car rallies, as evidenced by dash plaques that are on the car, until mechanical difficulties resulted in the car being placed in a locked storage unit in the early 1970s with eventual plans to restore the Squire.