The 225 S should be on every Ferrarista’s shopping list: it has 12 cylinders, a five-speed gearbox, egg-crate grille, and it makes all the right noises
Developed in a period of triumph and passion, Ferrari’s big-engine sports racers from the mid-1950s personify the company’s racing legend.
Tipo 340 Tuboscocca chassis 0160ED was assembled on January 10, 1952, the only 225 Sport fitted with double parallel springs on the rear axle, probably to handle the 40-gallon fuel tank. It was prepared for the XXII Tour of Sicily with Piero Taruffi and Mario Vandelli as number 443-the number it wears today. After posting fastest time of the day, it DNF’d with a blown head gasket.
It was then sold to Count Bruno Sterzi who raced in the XIV Aosta Gran San Bernardo hill climb, and later tested by Ascari at Imola before being sold to Mrs. Piano in Buenos Aires in late 1952.
The 1952 Ferrari 225 Sport Spider by Vignale spent the next 20 years in Argentina, winning numerous races and changing colors to blue, back to red, then to blue again. Australian Kerry Manolas bought 0160ED in 1982, restored it, and painted it red again. Manolas showed it at Pebble Beach in 1984 and Tony Wang bought it, keeping it until 1989.
Lee Beck, Chris Cox, and Skeets Dunn were the next owners, then in 1995 John Sullivan re-restored 0160ED to win the 1997 Judges Cup at the Cavallino Classic and show it at Meadow Brook Hall. The current owner entered 0160ED in the 2006 Mille Miglia. By all accounts it is the most complete, original, correct, and verifiable 225 Sport Spyder in existence. It is accompanied by exhaustive records and a complete toolset. (Courtesy of Christie’s)