Following Aurelio Lampredi’s departure from Ferrari in 1955, a new engineering team was formed for 1956. It soon came up with a new two-liter sports racing car-the 500 TR. This was the first Ferrari designated with the mystical name “Testa Rossa,” Italian for “red head,” the color the camshaft covers were painted.
For the 1957 season new Appendix C rules for modified sports cars became effective. The windscreen now had to be 100 centimeters wide, 15 centimeters high, and symmetrical over the axis of the car. A soft top was required, the gas tank capacity was to be 120 liters, and a passenger door was mandated. At the end of 1956, Ferrari announced the 500 TRC. The “C” in the model’s name reflected the Appendix C rules.
The Ferrari factory sold the TRC to private customers all over the world. Less than one year after the 500 TRC was introduced, it was replaced by the new 250 Testa Rossa with a 3-liter V12 engine. The 500 TRC marked the end of an era: it was Ferrari’s last official 4-cylinder-engined sports car. All further models were equipped with either 6- or 8- (Dino) or 12-cylinder engines.
This 1957 Ferrari 500 TRC Spider is the sixth of 19 cars (17 500 TRCs plus two 625 TRCs). In the past 49 years, it has had only five owners. It was sold new to Bernardo Cammarata, a businessman from Palermo, Sicily. He raced the car in Sicily up until 1963.
No fewer than five times 0670 MDTR was entered in the legendary Targa Florio, and seven years after its production, it won the famous Monte Pellegrino hillclimb in Palermo. Original owner Cammarata then sold the car to Francesco Tagliavia, another Sicilian who continued to race it for the next three years.
Italian Ferrari collector Giulio Dubbini bought 0670 MDTR in 1966 and campaigned it over the next 20 years in historic events. The Ferrari remained in Dubbini’s estate until April 1998. Historic racer Corrado Cupellini of Bergamo then took it over and for the next five years entered it in the Shell Ferrari Maserati Challenge race series in Europe.
In 2003 the Ferrari was sold to its current owner, who has shown it on two occasions at the Palm Beach Cavallino Classic and campaigned it in historic races.
The comprehensive documentation includes a Ferrari Factory Heritage Certificate, FIA Papers, Factory Assembly Sheets, an original letter written by the Ferrari Factory which references 0670 MDTR, an original Certificato di Proprietà issued by the Automobile Club Italia, many period racing photographs, and restoration receipts and photos.
Chassis 0670 MDTR has matching numbers and is totally authentic. Its entire history is known and has been very carefully documented by marque experts. It sells with a spare 625 TRC engine and spare 500 TR gearbox. It is eligible for almost every historic event in the world. The overall condition is stunning, and this exceptional and significant Ferrari is now ready for road, track, or show.