1958 Ferrari 330 GTC

“The best all-around V12.” With these words many Ferraristi have described the 330 GTC, a car with poise, performance and practicality rivaled by few others.

When the 250 GT Lusso ceased to exist at the end of 1964 it created a gap in the Ferrari range. Whereas the Lusso had provided the alternative between the 250 GTE and the 250 SWB Berlinetta, there was now nothing between the 330GT 2+2 and the 275 GTB.

When the 330 GTC was introduced at the Geneva Motor Show in March 1966 it received unanimous acclaim from public and motoring journalists alike. Particularly in Europe and the pre-55 mph expanses of Nevada and Montana, it represented the ideal high-speed express for two people and their luggage. While giving the driver the feeling of being totally in control and superior to everything on the road, it remained unashamedly luxurious and comfortable to travel in at high speed for the longest of journeys.

Thanks to its four-liter V12 engine, which produced 300 bhp at 7,000 rpm, performance was effortless and outstanding: a 0-60 mph time of just over six seconds and a top speed of around 150 mph, with tree stump-pulling torque to match, are as notable today as they were almost 30 years ago. Coachwork for the 330 GTC, designed and built by Pininfarina, borrowed its nose treatment from the 500 Superfast and rear end from the 275GTS, the result being a superbly balanced yet unostentatious overall effect; the epitome of good taste.

Smartly finished in black with black leather upholstery and optional Borrani wire wheels, the car pictured here is an excellent left-hand drive example of the 330 GTC model. The car performed superbly on a recent test drive.