Intended for the affluent connoisseur, the Aston Martin DB4 made its debut at the 1958 London Show. With its hand-crafted aluminum body and high-output six-cylinder engine, it was a logical development of its DB2 and DB MkIII predecessors.
Aston went to Carrozzeria Touring, the great Italian styling house, to interpret their thoughts for their new shape. Using their famous Superleggera – superlight – tubular structure, Touring created an aesthetic classic, light in appearance and construction alike.
Underneath was Aston Martin’s rugged steel platform chassis, with its straightforward but race-proven and carefully regulated suspension systems front and rear. Production coachwork was handcrafted to traditionally high British standards in Aston Martin’s own Tickford workshops. The DB4 could accommodate four in comfort or two in luxury in leather-trimmed reclining front seats. The essential high performance was provided by chief engineer Tadek Marke’s new all light-alloy, seven-main-bearing, 3.7-litre double-overhead-camshaft powerplant. Its seemingly effortless 240 bhp propelled the car to over 140 mph.
Altogether some 1,100 DB4s were built in five series before they gave way to the DB5 in 1963. A fine example of a most charismatic British classic, this car is understood to have been totally restored, both mechanically and cosmetically, at a cost of over $79,000 to the owner. The work is documented by invoices and this DB4 is now described as being in concours condition.