The XK140 was introduced in October 1954 at the London Motor Show as the successor to the XK120. The XK140 was easily distinguishable from its predecessor because of its Mk 7 type front and rear bumpers, the traditional radiator grill but with fewer slats and a chrome strip which ran along the center of the bonnet and the boot. Under the bonnet the XK140 had the traditional 6 cylinder unit of 3.4-liters with bore and stroke of 83 mm x 106 mm, which was basically the same as the Special Edition XK120 engine and thus capable of producing 190 bhp at 5,600 rpm, compared to the 160 bhp of the standard XK120. Like the 120, however, it had independent front suspension with semi-elliptic leaf springs at the rear.
The XK140 sold very well indeed, with orders flooding in. This was for two reasons: firstly due to the excellence of the old 120, which had won so many people’s hearts, but also because of the enormous success Jaguar was having in international motor racing, winning Le Mans in 1951 and 1953 with the C-Type and in 1955, 1956 and 1957 with the D-Type.
The XK140 roadster pictured here was originally delivered to America and therefore has left-hand drive. It was re-imported into the UK several years ago and soon after was purchased by the current owner at one of Coys Auctions. He spent further money to bring it to its present condition, describing the body, chassis, interior and paintwork as “good” and the engine and transmission as “excellent.” Bills for the work carried out are available. The coachwork is finished in red while the upholstery is black.