Vittorio Jano’s 1927 6C 1500 provided the foundation for a series of engines that form the basis of Alfa Romeo’s great prewar reputation. Expanded to 1752 cc, it became the 6C 1750. With two added cylinders, the 6C 1750 design became the 8C 2300. The Tipo B 2.9-liter Grand Prix expanded upon these principles and was ultimately adapted to the famed 8C 2900 sports cars.
However noble, the performance attributes of the 6C 1500 and its derivatives became dated. Read More
The official build record states that this GTA was completed on December 16, 1965. It was the 54th car of the model to be produced and the 14th given over to Alfa’s competition partner, Autodelta. Its works racing career ended in 1970, when it was returned to Alfa Romeo and used for testing. In 1988, the car was sold by Alfa Romeo to a new owner in Italy.
With the intent of retaining the Group 4 competition features, the Read More
While the post-war Alfa 1900 Berlina was advertised as “the family car that wins races,” the slogan for the late ’70s automatic-equipped Alfetta Sport Sedan could have been “a truly sale-proof car.”
The Alfetta was Alfa’s attempt to regain its technical edge with a sophisticated drive-train and suspension. Its previous models were powered by an engine dating to 1954 and a suspension dating to 1962. In 1975, the cash-strapped company offered the same twin-cam alloy engine, but with fresh Read More
Chassis number 2211133 was delivered on April 19, 1934 to Angelo Listori, with two-seat coupe bodywork that was shortly replaced by a drophead coupe body. In post-war Austria, the body was refurbished and the car eventually came to the US, where it was owned by Ed Bond, Pat Braden, Henry Petronis and Herb Wetson, who installed a Zagato body and sold the car to Canadian Mike Craven. After several other owners, Englishman Hugh Taylor commissioned Paul Grist to fit Read More
One of the most beautiful cars of the late 1940s, the Alfa Romeo 6C 2500 was among the first Italian sports cars to go into production after World War II. The superbly styled coachwork by Pinin Farina earned the 6C 2500 dual honors: it was one of the last cars to be recognized by the CCCA (Classic Car Club of America) and one of the first to be honored by the Milestone Car Society as a postwar collectible.
One of the most respected of automotive design firms, Zagato was founded in Milan by Ugo Zagato, who used techniques learned in the wartime aeronautics industry to create a series of lightweight competition cars. Alfa Romeo immediately realized the potential of Zagato’s designs, and thus commenced a fruitful collaboration that has lasted to this day. Legendary racing Alfas, from the P2, the 6C1500 and 1750 to the 8C2300, were joined by lightweight coupes on the Giulietta and Milano chassis.
After World War II Alfa Romeo could no longer afford to produce purely the bespoke motor cars that had made the marque famous on both road and track. It was not until 1954 that Alfa found its savior in the Giulietta Sprint, Nuccio Bertone being commissioned to design this small coupe just weeks before its debut at the Turin Show. The resultant shape pleased the eye from any angle, but Bertone’s styling for the convertible model was less appealing Read More
The Giulia Tubolare Zagato, or TZ, emerged victorious from its racing debut at Monza in November 1963, and from then on proved a competent competitor. Of the 112 TZs made, approximately two thirds survive.
Chassis number 085 was completed on March 9, 1965, but was not officially sold to Autodelta until December 31 of that year. The car was probably raced by French ace Jean Rolland in the interim, substantiated by the second owner’s testimony and small Read More
A replacement for the 1900 line, the 102-series 2000 cars first appeared in 1958 and were unusual in so far as production of the Touring-bodied Spider version outstripped that of the four-door Berlina. A Bertone-bodied Sprint coupe followed in 1960. Nowadays referred to as the “Cast-Iron 2-liter,” the twin-cam 2000 engine combined elements of the superseded 1900 and new Giulietta, retaining the former’s cast-iron block and separate cam covers but featuring the latter’s bucket-and-shim method of valve adjustment. Spider and Read More
With a total production run of 1,000 units between 1965, when it was launched at the Geneva Salon, and 1966, the Giulia GTC Alfa was an exclusive 2+2 convertible derivative of the Bertone Giulia Sprint GT coupe.
Visiting the new Arese plant when the Giulia GTC was introduced, the British magazine Autocar commented that “despite the high rates of manufacture, all Alfas are still largely hand-built, and every engine is stripped for examination when it has been run Read More