Alfa Romeo introduced the 1,752-cc, 6-cylinder cars designed by Jano in 1929. Adept on both road and racing circuits, the engine proved reliable and powerful, offering impressive output from its relatively small displacement.
Further benefiting from excellent handling, the car, in top factory racing engine trim, could comfortably exceed 100 mph. The 6C 1750 is significant for introducing in-house-manufactured sedan bodies, along with those produced by firms such as Touring, Castagna, and Zagato, among others.
Three models were available-the single-overhead-cam Turismo with a 122-inch wheelbase and a maximum speed of about 70 mph, the twin-overhead-cam Gran Turismo with a 108-inch or 114-inch wheelbase and a top speed of about 80 mph, and the Gran Sport or Super Sport, a supercharged Gran Turismo producing 85 hp and a top speed of 95 mph. Regardless of the version, the 6C remains today one of the most compelling and desirable of all Alfas. All told, Alfa Romeo built a total of 2,579 1750s through 1933.
This spectacular 6C 1750 Gran Sport has a well-known, documented history. A supercharged GS example, it was sold new to Mr. Di Brigatti of Milan, Italy, on June 28, 1929. Its second owner, also a Milanese citizen, was Mr. Giuseppe Fantacci, who later took the car with him to the United States as a duty-free entry. Rather than exporting it back to Italy, he sold the car to well-known author and collector Ralph Stein. During the 1950s, the car came under the ownership of Alec Ullman, who is remembered for organizing the 12 Hours of Sebring and the United States Grand Prix.
It would then become the property of various collectors in New York and has since been restored by David Pruitt of Alfa Workshops, sensitive to its original condition. The Alfa still wears its old Florentine registration plate and includes its full restoration file, along with a certificate of the Automobile Club Italia showing its original Italian registration.
Both the chassis and engine bear the same serial number-0312940. The steering box, gearbox, and front and rear axles are stamped with numbers that are close to the chassis number (within ten), as per factory practice at the time of production. The construction number stamped atop the bell housing ends in 2929, as does the bonnet hinge.
The rare coachwork by Carrozzeria Sport, a small workshop in Milan, boasts its original panels and windscreen, along with front fenders which were first modified in the 1930s. The original Jaeger instruments and carburetor have also been preserved.