One of twelve built by General Motors, this self-contained display and transport vehicle was created in 1940 by the GM design staff under Harley Earl’s direction.
The Futurliner has opening sides, interior and exterior floodlights, a retractable stage, distinctive center cockpit driving position and dual-wheel front and rear axles. The buses were used in the “Parade of Progress” touring exhibit created by GM Vice President Charles “Boss” Kettering, which complemented GM’s Motorama exhibits from 1940 through 1956.
This 1953 “Parade of Progress” Tour Bus is one of three survivors restored to their original configuration. It is now powered by a later 400 cubic-inch GM gasoline truck engine and is fully equipped, including an onboard motor-generator and air-conditioning for the driver’s compartment.