During the 1950s, the most accessible, most appealing, and in many cases, the most successful club racing car available to any aspiring racing driver was one of the products of the Donald Healey Motor Company’s famous factory at The Cape, Warwick.
This particularly appealing, and in period highly successful, Austin-Healey 100S is a shining example of the type. It has an outstanding record as one of the most successful 100S cars of its period, as it competed in no fewer than 49 races on almost all U.K. circuits — and claimed 30 podium places, including 14 outright wins. For 37 years it was part of the celebrated Norfolk connoisseur Arthur Carter’s wonderful Austin-Healey collection. As a genuine 100S, it is one of only 50 such Austin-Healeys ever produced during 1955.
It raced and sprinted extensively from 1955 with first owner John Dalton and five subsequent others before Norman Tuckwell acquired the car in 1963, sprinting it to another class victory at Blackbushe aerodrome near Camberley on the Surrey/Hampshire border, and racing it at 750 Motor Club level at Castle Combe in Wiltshire.
A long pause then ensued in the car’s yard-long competition record before Tuckwell sold the car to trader Robbie Gordon in 1965, from whom it was acquired in partnership by James Boothby and David Vine. It was from them in July that year that RWD 132 was acquired by enthusiast Arthur Carter of King’s Lynn, beginning his 37-year tenure that lasted until 2002.
After that it went through the hands of Jeremy Broad (Goodwood Revivals 2004 and 2005 with Guy Broad) and Frank Sytner before coming in 2007 to the vendor, who among other events ran it at Le Mans (2009/2012) and Goodwood (2012), plus a recent Mille Miglia retrospective. It’s never been bested by any other Austin-Healey at the Revival.