Consistent serial production 250s begin with the Europa GT. Prior to this, one could find differences between sequential Ferraris of the same model
Introduced to the public at the 1953 Paris Auto Salon alongside the 375 America, the 250 GT Europa was Ferrari’s first true Gran Turismo and the first road-going Ferrari to be identified by the now-legendary 250 series nomenclature.
Pinin Farina’s design features a high-waisted silhouette with a long, low hood, crisp lines and a large oval grille. The elegant yet sporty 2+2 coupe is now regarded as a classic and solidified Ferrari’s longstanding relationship with the design firm.
The Europa was the only Ferrari 250 to carry the Aurelio Lampredi-designed V12, which was originally designated for racing use and produced over 200 horsepower. As such, the Europa was capable of a 135 mph top speed and 0-60 times under eight seconds. The V12 engine was coupled with an all-synchromesh transmission and, in conjunction with the car’s superb handling characteristics, made for an outstanding Gran Turismo package.
The exceptional left-hand-drive example offered here, chassis 0361GT, was the third 250 GT Europa produced. It was sold upon completion to Mrs. Paola Ferrari for Ms. Mirka Landini of Bologna, Italy. It was owned in the 1960s by J. McCoy of Missouri before returning to Europe and finding its way in 1990 to Albert Obrist, an avid collector from Gstaad, Switzerland. Obrist owned the 250 GT Europa Series II until the mid-1990s, when it was acquired by the Ecclestone Collection.
The 1954 Series II has received a show-quality restoration. The two-tone dark blue and silver paint is in very good condition and virtually free of defects. The blue upholstery has been professionally restored and well maintained. The light gray cloth headliner and blue-painted dash are also quite remarkable, as is the proper as-new instrumentation. All chrome trim and brightwork have been professionally replated to show quality finish.
The undercarriage was correctly refinished in black and is complete, with original hardware or correct new replacements when necessary. No signs of road use are apparent, with the cleanliness in as-new condition. The engine bay is equally outstanding and has been expertly detailed. Three correct twin-choke Weber carburetors sit atop the 220-horsepower Lampredi V12. The original 16-inch Borrani wire wheels are shod in new Pirelli tires, and the spare wheel and jack reside in the boot, which has been professionally restored.
Only 36 Europas were built in both series. Benefiting from such rarity, as well as a superb pedigree and concours-quality restoration, a 250 GT Europa of this caliber would be an exceptional addition to any automotive collection.
(Introductory description courtesy of RM.)