1960 Austin-Healey 3000 2+2

The Austin-Healey sports car range is synonymous with a particular era of British sports car production, and is similar to Jaguar in many ways. Both companies built strong, reliable and affordable cars for the North American market, their strongest and safest market, and the cars evolved model by model over the years. The 100 series Healeys were successful, initially with four-cylinder, then six-cylinder, motors, but it is the 3000 model that most people remember as the definitive Healey. The first 3000 designated car was introduced in the spring of 1959 and featured a six-cylinder 2912-cc motor with overhead valves and pushrods, that produced 124 bhp at 4,600 rpm with a top speed of 115 mph. The gearbox was four-speed with overdrive on third and fourth. The suspension consisted of front independent coil springs and a live axle with half-elliptic springs in the rear. Front disc brakes were introduced on the 3000. Two body styles were available, a two-seater (BN7) or a 2+2 (BT7).

The 2+2 has been comprehensively and professionally restored to the highest of standards; virtually everything that could be done by way of restoration has been attended to. The chassis was stripped to bare metal and blasted before being resealed and painted, and the panelwork was similarly prepared before a high-quality urethane black paint job. All chrome work was either replated or newly replaced, while the interior was retrimmed with correct Connolly leather seats, new carpets, panel kit and new Everflex top and sidescreens. Both the style and finish has been done to correct factory colors and standards and with all correct detailing and appropriate decals and stickers. The car sits on sixty-spoke upgraded chrome/stainless wheels and correct-size Michelin radial tires.

Mechanically the drivetrain has been completely rebuilt, as were the rear axle, brakes, suspension, and electrical system, all to the highest standards. The Healey is offered with a BMIHT certificate verifying that it was built on June 12, 1959, destined for Los Angeles, so it is entirely fitting that forty years later, almost to the day, the car is offered for sale in Los Angeles.